Riad & Riad has a specialized arbitration and dispute resolution team. The members of our team have extensive experience in handling high-value ad-hoc as well as institutional arbitrations according to the rules of major arbitration institutes including ICC, ICSID and CRCIRA.
Our litigation department is equipped with more than 20 licensed lawyers. The head of our litigation team has an experience of 35 years in commercial and administrative litigation and advocacy practice. We handle complex litigation with high value and high-profile disputes, involving high strategic advice, multiple practice specialties and cross border proceedings.
We treat each proceeding as a unique matter. We analyze the specific facts and evidence of each case and formulate a plan to best achieve the client’s goals, whether by settlement or trying the case.
Our litigation team has strong capabilities to provide wide variety of services, including:
- Prepare pre-trial careful assessment of the value and merits of a dispute to advice
the client on the strengths and weaknesses of each side and the proper strategy
- Assist in the settlement negotiations and arrangements for certain lawsuits/
- Handle lawsuits during the trial stage up until the issuance of final/enforceable
judgments. This will include preparing statement of claims, all memoranda and
briefs, attending court hearings, attending before court appointed experts, and
preparing expert opinions.
- Provide oversight, direction and tactical planning by lead experienced trial
lawyers, while delegating relevant tasks to the team in a cost effective way.
- Provide timely and precise communication about upcoming events, deadlines,
needed documents/information and allowing for enough time to juggle the
schedules, and do all of that in light of the pace of each lawsuit.
- Provide regular litigation update reports.
Sample of Recent Experience
- Shareholder Disputes: representing one of the UK based multinational companies in a court case initiated against it by the minority shareholders claiming multi-million compensation amount for allegedly selling the joint venture assets at an inadequate price.
- Director & Officer Litigation: representing a British multi-national company which is the world's largest manufacturer and distributor of sewing thread and supplies in a lawsuit for personal liability against one of its directors.
- Termination of Agency Agreement: our firm lead the dispute resolution negotiation on behalf of Medtronic, the renowned medical equipment company, with its local agent in Egypt until reaching an amicable
- IPRs disputes: advising and representing Al-Aseel, the Saudi clothes company in complex ttrademark opposition and cancellation proceedings before Egyptian authorities and courts. We guide the client through the process of evaluating available options in an effort to resolve the matter in a way that is most beneficial to the client.
- Termination of Distribution Agreement with a Japanese Company
Our firm represented Toray International, the medical equipment manufacturing arm of Toray Group, a multinational corporation headquartered in Japan in its dispute with its local distributor over the termination of their agreement. Our team led the negotiations with the local distributor as well as taking the required preventive court and regulatory procedures.
- Annulment of privatization transaction: The experience of our partners includes representing Lafarge, the leading international producer of building materials, at the trial and appeal level in the privatization case of one of its Egyptian subsidiaries. Our partner scored a success as the 7th Circuit of the Administrative Court issued its decision upholding the privatization of the Egyptian subsidiary and denying the Claimants’ requests to annul the privatization deal and the associated share sale agreement and to return the company to the Egyptian government.
- International commercial arbitration: Our team succeeded in obtaining an arbitration award in favour of a Chinese auto-manufacturer in a dispute with one of its partners and agents in Egypt with a value of 120 million Egyptian pounds before the Cairo International Center for International Commercial Arbitration (CRCICA). The arbitral tribunal unanimously decided to terminate the partnership agreement between the parties and compensate the Chinese company for 114 million Egyptian pounds in addition to the recovery of fees and costs of arbitration.
- Labor Collective arbitration: representing British company before the Egyptian courts on collective labor lawsuit/arbitration filed by a group of employees on the grounds of arbitrary dismissal following the company's downsizing of its workforce and restructuring in Egypt.
- Challenging claims for social insurance dues: representing a major construction company in challenging the claims of the Social Insurance Authority for overdue amount of EGP 40 million for contractor insurance of temporary workers.